Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Maternity Leave and Life Update

Things have been super crazy these last few weeks. We have been going non stop with all of our preparations. Between the home study, lawyer and trying to prep the nursery we will be ready for things to settle down and enjoy life. 
 Most of you already know that we had our final home study done last weekend. Things went very well and she loved our home. She saw no concerns and complimented on the nursery. She was eagerly excited that our home was prepped for the baby and she didn't need to tell us of any changes to be made. In the end she said she highly recommended us. Now we wait for all the paperwork to be sent over to our lawyers office for proof. This is a big weight off of our shoulders for sure!
 The one joy about working from home is the possibility of being a stay at home mom without having to take my child to day care for 9 hours a day. There is also a big flaw to it.. There are many decisions that can ride on losing clients or put you on the spot. When having to take time off work, your clients have to find back up care. When this happens, there is always risk of them being upset that you took time off and going elsewhere. This is okay for them to do, but it also makes you re-think things in the future. This is where I am at right now with maternity leave. 
 In the past I have had to take two weeks off due to a surgery that caused clients to find back up care. In this time, a couple people decided it was easier to keep their child in the care of that person due to having more children of their child's gender and such. This has made it harder for me to accept the possibility of closing ever for day care. It's a tough field and when your life stops, everyone else's keeps going. 
 Many people say I should just take a couple weeks and others say take a few days. I have thought soo hard about this and realized how blessed I am just to be home. I can take a few days off, but know that even with working, I am still home getting used to life with our little one. The truth is, those who usually take time off have some sort of back up help to keep their jobs. I am my own job and want to ensure my clients stay happy. 
The one thing I can say I have going for me is the fact that I am private care. I only allow very little kids at a time in my care. This allows me to meet individual needs. I used to have a ton of kids, but now I realized day care is much more than just having lots of kids. It is about meeting the individual needs of children while they have a couple of friends to play with. I am not a center that has too many kids to do individual activities all day long. This is the benefits I will have with my own child. We have an infant (due this month) that is on a waiting list to start in our private care. I am very excited for our little guy to have an automatic play mate while he grows up. This is a perfect opportunity to turn him into a natural social butterfly. We all know the importance of socializing in life, that is 80% of what going to school is all about. That is where a lot of people learn to socialize out in the real world. 
In any case, we do know that Derek can get up 12 weeks of FMLA. We don't need any really, but he will have a few days to be home and help everyone get adjusted. Let's face it, it takes two to get adjusted to a new little one. He is just as important as I am in this child's life. We are excited to show our efforts in parenting together. As I was prepared to do most of the nights since I work from home, he has said that it's not fair and he wants to help out as much as he can. We are a team and that comes at all times in our child's life. 
 So, in taking time off to adjust to the little guy. We will make it simple. The one thing we want to focus on while adjusting to our new lives and our expectant mom (we will call her emom to keep her identity secret for now). She will go home from the hospital and hope for a full recovery once the little guy comes. To ensure she stays relaxed and healthy, we will make sure to take Baby K to her home and visit her. This is so we know that she is doing her part and letting her body heal (she is having a c-section). We are committed to her and are very excited to watch her reach her life goals... Gives me something to blog about in the future!
Anyways, enough rambling for now. Going to try and keep everyone updated as much as possible. For now.... 5 Weeks left!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment